Please Note: The items we sell on consignment are not eligible for member discounts or sales. The items may be purchased online but cannot be shipped, they must be picked up in the museum shop.
Reproduction of a watercolor lithograph titled "An Old Print of Annapolis, 1797" with the caption "Entered according to act of Congress in the year 1871 by Chase & Town in the office of the Librarian of Congress at Washington."
Entire print measures approximately 12" x 13.5"; image only measures approximately 9" x 11.5"
Text below reads:
VIEW OF ANNAPOLIS IN 1797. ENTERED...1871 BY CHASE & TOWN...
WASHINGTON. Lithograph, printed in colors. 8.1 x 12.3 cm. From Lossing, American
Historical Record (1872)1: front. MdHi.
The water color drawing of Compte de Maulevier Colbert, a French visitor to Annapolis in 1797, was the basis for this anonymously lithographed panoramic view (c. 1871). It shows Annapolis as seen looking southeast from Strawberry Hill, now the site of the Naval Academy golf course. The old windmill (torn down 1808), shown at the left, gave its name to "Windmill Point," the small tip of land jutting into the Severn River which was once the site of Fort Severn but is now part of the Naval Academy. The cluster of buildings to its right are the Hammond-Harwood, Chase-Lloyd, and Ogle houses. Farther right, with domes, are McDowell Hall on the campus of St. John's College, and the State House. To the extreme right, with a square tower, is St. Anne's Episcopal Church.
Lossing, American Historical Record, 1: 42; "An Old Print of Annapolis, 1797," p. 129.
V 52. Lois B. McCauley, Maryland Historical Prints 1752 to 1889 (Baltimore: Maryland Historical Society, 1975).